Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/databases
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Volker A. Brandt <vab@bb-c.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/26/2004 09:45:37
Greg A. Woods writes:
> > Why not emulate the way info works for the html format?  There is
> > a central directory file (called "dir") in every info directory.
>
> Bad point actually.
>
> There's nothing "special" about HTML documentation, or rather about the
> HTML parsing capability of browsers (and servers) that can read (and
> serve) HTML files -- those browsers (and servers) can also all read (and
> serve) many other file formats as well, not just HTML files.
> [...]

I am not sure what to make of your post.  I think a majority in this
discussion agrees that a .../share/doc/html subdirectory should be
avoided.

> Also, as for having a "descriptive master index" of installed
> documentation, well while a such a thing would be nice to have, there's
> no fundamental need for one since all browsers (and servers) can present

Well, I don't said there is any fundamental need.  I also did not
say that an info-like central html index file is the only way to
avoid having .../share/doc/html.  And you stated that it would be
nice to have such an index file.

So, basically, we seem to agree.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH              WWW: http://www.bb-c.de/~vab/
Meckenheim, Germany                                   Email: vab@bb-c.de