Subject: Re: RCD_SCRIPTS and MESSAGEs
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/23/2004 17:12:03
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> > So the MESSAGE will suggest using /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/wwwoffle as
> > the script to run. Because it is an "examples" script, it may seem wrong
> > for some users to read that.
> >
> > It seems like we should suggest they manually or automatically copy it to
> > RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR.
>
> I agree with that. The idea behind the second part was to support
> NetBSD-1.4*, which had no "/etc/rc.d", nor was there a package for
> rc.d at the time. That second part could go bye now.
>
> > I meant to provide a quick example of a good MESSAGE for this, but didn't
> > do that yet.
>
> What about non-NetBSD users? Or is everybody running the rc.d port?

I am not sure.

I use the rcorder and rc.subr on my Linux and FreeBSD systems.

Maybe there could be some option that installed (maybe DEPENDS on) the
rc.subr and rcorder packages.

Some rc.d scripts are made to work like System V style init.d scripts. But
I'd prefer to not fix up all to behave that way.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/