Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/databases
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/20/2004 10:28:20
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Michal Pasternak wrote:

> Strange. No matter if I access share/doc via "cd", via "konqueror" or with
> Opera, I _always_ have to wonder for a while, was that HTML docs I was
> looking for, or not? In many cases I have to check both directories.

I agree that is a problem.

On one of my systems, I have over 7000 html files under /usr/pkg/share
but not under /usr/pkg/share/doc/html. And I have near 2300 html files
under /usr/pkg/share/doc but also not under /usr/pkg/share/doc/html.

The html files can be either place.

I'd suggest that we do not go out of our way to patch packages to
install to ${PREFIX}/doc/html.

Have a look on your own systems (or PLISTs) to see many html files not in
/usr/pkg/share/doc/html. It is confusing.

> Anyway, who created share/doc/html/ first and what was his/hers reasoning?

Some packages do that by default. So someone probably saw this prior
default example and then later maybe started to force other packages
installations to behave the same.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/