Subject: Re: X apps cannot find app-defaults
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/17/2004 12:33:37
--FWibJpkbnkY6rrXF

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 05:53:54PM -0700, Soren Jacobsen wrote:
  | On 04/16 14:50, Chuck Cranor wrote:
  | > On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:37:47AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
  | > > pkg_info -D xpkgwedge
  | > > (I don't know about this myself, but maybe that explains it.)
  | >=20
  | > it says I have to manually set XAPPLRESDIR in some system files=20
  | > to make it work, and sure enough it does.
  | >=20
  | > but, that's a really terrible interface!   i didn't even ask
  | > for xpkgwedge to install itself, pkgsrc did it own its own.
  | > and that message was long gone from my xterm by the time xmmix
  | > finished installing.
  | >=20
  | > you guys need to find a way to make this work automatically,
  | > otherwise it is going to confuse a lot of people because the
  | > application's don't totally break, but they don't look right
  | > either.
  |=20
  | Automatically?  Ergh.  What I can offer, however, is automatic mailing =
of
  | messages.  If PKGSRC_MESSAGE_RECIPIENTS is set, the specified user(s) w=
ill
  | be mailed a copy of the MESSAGE files.  A while ago, I wanted to set
  | PKGSRC_MESSAGE_RECIPIENTS to root by default, but there was some
  | resistance...

I agree with Chuck; we should find a clean way to build applications
in the xpkgwedge framework so that they find their app-defaults correctly
(at least for NetBSD systems running X built from src/x11).

It is unacceptable to me that sysadmins need to set variables like
XAPPLRESDIR in global config files to get X programs installed into
/usr/pkg/* to function correctly.

--FWibJpkbnkY6rrXF

--FWibJpkbnkY6rrXF--