Subject: Re: BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.gtk2 >=2.4.0?
To: Rene Hexel <r.hexel@griffith.edu.au>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/16/2004 07:30:43
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Rene Hexel wrote:

> > I thought major shlib bump was a reason to bump DEPENDS?
> > After all, there is not *.so.200 after the update, so old binary
> > packages _will_ fail. And I don't think that adding such links
> > (.so.200 -> .so.400) is a good idea.
>
>    Neither do I.  But I don't see how bumping depends will help with old
> binary packages.  They would still install against a newer library and
> fail, regardless of whether RECOMMENDED or DEPENDS was bumped.

But pkg_add will still allow it to be installed because of open-ended
dependencies.

This is another example of why we should take advantage that pkgsrc can
already record sonames -- and use those sonames at pkg_add time to confirm
that the package can be installed. Does anyone want to code that?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/