Subject: Binary packages with pax (PR pkg/25194)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/16/2004 17:00:05
   Currently gnustep-base (see PR pkg/25194) and other packages fail to
build correct binary packages on NetBSD.  The reason is a 100 character
(full) path length limit that is exceeded in the PLISTs for these
packages.  It appears that when pax is used to create packages, this
limit is strictly enforced, truncating the corresponding path names in
the archive.

   The options I can think of are:

	- use GNU tar, which seems to be more sloppy about this

	- add (and use) an option for pax that allows longer file names

	- change pkg_create to use ustar (at least on NetBSD).

   Personally, I'd prefer the last option, it seems to be the cleanest
solution.  Does anyone know whether this has any adverse effects wrt to
backward compatibility or other OS's?  (My guess is that it should work
fine.)

   Ideas?  Comments?

      ,
   Rene