Subject: libstdc++ problems on Linux
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/14/2004 01:27:47
Hello,

I've been having some terrible problems compiling various packages,
appartently due to some kind of buildlink/libstdc++ problems.

This is on Slackware.

Either the build will fail at some point because it can't find
<package>/work/.buildlink/lib/libstdc++.la or there are really verbose
"undefined reference" warnings or both.

Is there some secret to get buildlink and libstdc++ to play nice?

I'm trying to get meta-pkgs/kde3 built for Linux and it doesn't get very
far. I've been able to get qt3-libs and qt3-tools to build. I'm not sure
I can trust these builds, however, because of some "undefined reference"
warnings. There's no testing either, because arts won't build for the
same problem.

These slackware packages are installed...

$ ls /var/adm/packages|grep gcc
gcc-3.2.3-i486-2
gcc-g++-3.2.3-i486-1

... I kind of expected those to handle these issues. It seems that
sometimes buildlink is able to make itself aware of libstdc++.la and
sometimes it isn't, perhaps depending on the package.

For some reason, though these problems don't exist on NetBSD, so I don't
believe I can blame buildlink.

It would appear that I'm missing something important to get things
working smoothly on Linux. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Louis