Subject: Re: lang/tcl, lang/tcl83 build failure on MacOS X
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
From: Dan Winship <danw@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/08/2004 08:47:44
On Apr 8, 2004, at 6:27 AM, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 09:38:10PM -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
>> (The patches make it (1) not use libtool to build static libraries
>
> Why not?

Because building static libraries is easy, and using tcl's own code to
do it means fewer patches for us to maintain. (And the rule we're
currently patching in is busted anyway; it tries to build the library
from .o's rather than .lo's, which libtool 1.5 doesn't like.)

>> (3) deal with the fact that the
>> installed libs have a different name on some OSes, including OS X.)
>
> I think we should have the same name on all supported platforms, so
> that all dependencies can link against -ltcl84 and we don't have
> to special case for some of them to link against -ltcl8.4.

I figured it was safer to stick with the default name for the system,
but I see we're already patching some packages to always use the first
form, so sure.

-- Dan