Subject: Re: read-only pkgsrc
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/06/2004 16:01:53
On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> It would be nice if it could be auto-detected if it's writable or not
> (make the workdir/link and if it's not there assume it's read-only)
> without requiring the user to learn even more varables by heart.

One way to reduce the memorization and confusion load would be to change
our build systems (all of them: pkgsrc, src, x11, etc.) to require that
you specify a build directory for the intermediate (and perhaps some
of the output) files. If we used the same variable for all of these
(obviously, with pkgsrc building under $BUILD/pkgsrc or whatever) then
it would be dead easy to memorize, and most probably everyone would just
set it once (in /etc/mk.conf or wherever) and it would be done with.

This might also remove some complexity from our makefiles, since
we currently have a fair amount of logic to deal with putting work
directories in various places, and having various names.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org