Subject: Re: pax be named optionally as "pax-as-tar"?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/03/2004 15:19:42
[ On Saturday, April 3, 2004 at 08:28:24 (-0800), Jeremy C. Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: pax be named optionally as "pax-as-tar"?
>
> Why do I want to do this? Because I don't like pax and gtar-base
> installing to same file name when using GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX= as nothing.

There are two much better solutions than your suggestion which pollutes
the namespace and creates even more confusion:

1. Register a conflict "if empty(GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX)"

2. always install GNU tar as gtar regardless of the GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX
   setting (IIUC there are other precedents for expecting GNU tar to
   have the name "gtar")

> Then pkg_install breaks because GNU tar is missing --fast-read option.

I've always felt pkg_install shouldn't try to use any non-standard
options, i.e. it should always use the native 'pax' interface directly,
and then it might even stand a chance of working with other "pax"
implementations too.

--
						Greg A. Woods