Subject: Re: pkgsrc as non-root?
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
From: Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/03/2004 17:10:37
--iq/fWD14IMVFWBCD

* On 2004-04-03 at 17:05 BST, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> On April 3, 2004 10:57 am, Georg Schwarz wrote:
>
> > Now when installing packages, I am asked to become root
> > although LOCALBASE is fully writable by the build user.  Is
> > there a switch that prevents this? Or is it simply a bug?
>=20
> Is that even possible?  Aren't there things that need to be
> setuid root to work?  How would you handle that?

There are, but it's a significant minority, and most of that
minority can be fixed trivially.  As we currently don't have a
full infrastructure for handling non-root, users of it should be
aware of problems and have the necessary skills to fix them, but
as you can easily install several thousand packages as non-root
without modification (apart from the SU_CMD/ID hacks as
mentioned earlier) it's definitely worth it.

Cheers,

--=20
Jonathan Perkin                         <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
BBC Internet Services         http://www.perkin.org.uk/jonathan/