Subject: Re: bsd.buildlink3.mk >=1.132 3x slower than 1.131!
To: Dan Winship <danw@NetBSD.org>
From: Dan Winship <danw@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/02/2004 11:43:47
>> Why do we need all the tests that were added in revision 1.132
>> (bsd.buildlink3.mk)? they are decreasing performance for targets as
>> "checksum, makesum, package, install" etc.
>
> I'm having much worse problems than that with some packages.
> [insert incorrect theory here]

OK, should have checked first. (I didn't check before because it would
have been too hard to revert all of the buildlink3.mk files), but:

With bsd.buildlink3.mk v 1.136:

    danw@blorb:gimp> time bmake sdfasd
    bmake: don't know how to make sdfasd. Stop

    bmake: stopped in /Volumes/ufs/pkgsrc/graphics/gimp

    real    0m27.494s
    user    0m11.090s
    sys     0m15.110s

With v 1.131:

    danw@blorb:gimp> time bmake sdfasd
    bmake: don't know how to make sdfasd. Stop

    bmake: stopped in /Volumes/ufs/pkgsrc/graphics/gimp

    real    0m4.825s
    user    0m3.110s
    sys     0m1.600s

So yeah, looks like that's the problem for me too.

-- Dan