Subject: Re: sun-jre14 issues
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/30/2004 14:44:08
Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> Please read sun-jre14's installation message.  You can do that by simply
> issuing 'pkg_info sun-jre14' (or in case your pkg_install tools are old,
> by adding the -D flag).  Specially, look at the datasize comments.

Great! I was able to get things running by setting the ulimit to 300000.

But is this something that we want globally for all users on the system?
The only way I see doing this is by putting an explicit "ulimit -d
300000" in /etc/profile or somewhere that it will be globally executed.
Would it make sense to make a shell-script wrapper around "java",
something like...

#!/bin/sh
#
#  /usr/bin/java - wrapper
#############################

ulimit -d 300000
/usr/pkg/java/sun-1.4/jre/bin/java $@

# end of script

... Also - I still get this...

$ java -version

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
location
^^^^^^^^
java version "1.4.2_04"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05)

And what's up with this line in the NetBSD.MESSAGE? ...

Then, you need to add the following line to your /etc/fstab:

procfs /proc procfs rw,linux

... is that obsolete or actually necessary? If I put that in, surely the
system won't be able to mount the device "procfs" since it doesn't exist.

Thanks very much for your help,

Louis