Subject: Packages Collection on Multi-CPU Systems
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: James Jacocks <jjacocks@mac.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/29/2004 23:33:07
The system that I use the packages collection on is a Sun Enterprise
4500, with 8 CPUs.  When I build source manually, I usually pass "-j9"
to make, to cause make to take advantage of my system.

However, when building packages in the pkgsrc collection, "bmake -j9
install" doesn't seem to work very well.  Even doing a "bmake
configure; bmake -j9 build; bmake install" doesn't seem to work very
well for most packages.

Is there an option in /etc/mk.conf to enable package generation to use
"bmake -j" when appropriate?  If not, is there a process to follow to
manually do this?

Thanks!