Subject: Re: overriding openssl depends?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/29/2004 14:47:42
On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 11:35:28PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> I'm trying to convince a pkg that my old openssl is what I want, but
> setting
>
> 	 BUILDLINK_PACKAGES.openssl+=  	openssl>=0.9.6
>
> in mk.conf does not work as the openssl/buildlink3.mk file uses "+=" to
> assign, instead of the "?=" I know from builblink2.
>
> Who can I override this? Seems that all BL3 pkgs use += or := ... :(

For buildlink3, setting the following in /etc/mk.conf should work:

	USE_BUILTIN.openssl=	yes

The first value forces buildlink3 to always use the built-in OpenSSL
instead of the pkgsrc OpenSSL.  This differ from the PREFER_NATIVE or
PREFER_PKGSRC setting since USE_BUILTIN.<pkg> expresses an absolute
condition while the PREFER_* variables simply express a preference).

There is no way (yet) to use an older version of pkgsrc OpenSSL without
directly editing the openssl/buildlink3.mk file and lowering the
dependency.  I'm doing some active research on being able to build
against installed versions of software regardless of the version
required by a package as a way to allow users with large installed
bases of software from pkgsrc, e.g. anyone who has built and installed
KDE-3.x or GNOME-2.x from pkgsrc, to avoid updating those large package
installations until a time of their own choosing.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>