Subject: Re: pkgsrc and solaris
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Christer Solskogen <solskogen@online.no>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/21/2004 03:22:43
On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 11:01, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> * On 2004-03-19 at 23:44 GMT, Christer Solskogen wrote:
>
> > After bootstraping pkgsrc, what do i need more?
> > Do i need to set some variables somewhere to get it to work right?
>
> If you're running as root then the supplied mk.conf should be
> sufficient.  If not, then you'll need to put it somewhere, point the
> $MAKECONF variable at it and add a few settings to install with
> correct permissions (I can provide this if needs be).
>
> > What compiler is the "best"? gcc2 og gcc3?
>
> "Depends" :-)  gcc2 will build around 2,000 of the packages.  gcc3
> fixes some bugs with shared library handling on Solaris, but has
> more stringent checks which can make some packages which build fine
> with gcc2 fail with gcc3.  We've fixed quite a few of these, but
> there are sure to be some more around.
>
> We'd welcome any experience you can share, as we're always trying to
> improve pkgsrc to make it as easy to use as possible along with
> building as many packages as we can on non-NetBSD platforms.

Thanks for your replay.

Some if the things I`ve been wondering about is this:

1) I downloaded gcc from sunfreeware.com. I used that to bootstrap
pkgsrc. And to compile gcc from pkgsrc. After that i removed gcc from
sunfreeware. I guess that is correct?
2) It seems like i need to set some variables to get things to compile.
Like PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Anything else?

And while we are at it, i cant install vim.
It fails on devel/ncurses.
g++: /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-solaris2.9/3.3.2/crti.o: No such
file or directory
g++: /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-solaris2.9/3.3.2/crtbegin.o: No such
file or directory
g++: /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-solaris2.9/3.3.2/crtend.o: No such
file or directory
g++: /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-solaris2.9/3.3.2/crtn.o: No such
file or directory
*** Error code 1

It looks to me that i miss some files.

--
Med Vennlig Hilsen / Best regards
Christer Solskogen

You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.