Subject: Re: pkgsrc and solaris
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Hal Snyder <hal@vailsys.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/20/2004 19:42:40
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 12:46:01AM +0100, Christer Solskogen wrote:
>> After bootstraping pkgsrc, what do i need more?
>> Do i need to set some variables somewhere to get it to work right?
>
> You shouldn't
>
>> What compiler is the "best"? gcc2 og gcc3?
>
> I've built 381 packages with gcc3, including kde3 and parts of gnome2
> (I'm not saying it went smooothly, but I got them building :)
>
> If you set USE_GGC3=yes in mk.conf, you have a circular dependancy problem:
> (gcc3-c -> gmake -> {libiconv,gettext-lib} -> libtool-base -> gcc3-c

Right. It looks circular even without the definition, but things work
"enough".

> The solution I found: build gmake with your native compiler. Then
> build gcc3-c, gcc3-c++ and gcc3-f77. Once you have that, pkg_delete
> gmake, libiconv, gettext-lib and libtool-base, bmake clean for each
> of these packages and reinstall gmake.

Why f77?

> reinstalling up to gmake may not be needed, but deinstalling and
> rebuilding (don't forget the bmake clean) libtool is crutial.

A diary of bootstrapping pkgsrc starting from a clean x86 Solaris 9 OS
install and getting the first few dozen packages is linked below
(along with logs of what failed, such as trafshow needing a buildlink3
include or such for libpcap). Feedback is welcome - I probably did a
few things the hard way.

http://www.drxyzzy.org/opsys/pkgsrc-sol9.html