Subject: Re: including a package to pkgsrc?
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/13/2004 17:52:05
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Iain Hibbert wrote:

> general distributions - I made a package of it (you can compile it into
> the kernel or add it as a lkm along with some mods to the pppd progam) and
> submitted a package via send-pr (pkg/21229) as I thought that was the way,
> but a year later it still has not been accepted nor indeed looked at, is
> this normal? Is there anything I can do to speed this up?  I am, of
> course, inordinately proud of my scribblings..

It is usually not normal to wait this long. But it may be that no one else
knows what it is and how it can be tested.

I imported it to pkgsrc-wip for you. I have not tested it.

Please see http://pkgsrc-wip.sourceforge.net/ for details.

Soon to be at
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/pkgsrc-wip/wip/ppp-lzs/

Regular pkgsrc is in a two week freeze so can not be added at this time.

pkglint complained about your package and I also noticed some problems.
But I did not fix anything.

My comments (but not pkglint's comments):

- The DESCRiption says "In order to compile this, you will need to have
the source sets installed." pkgsrc is for many operating systems.
So mention this needs "NetBSD source sets".

- Use ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM=        NetBSD-*-*

- MESSAGE should be resaved as MESSAGE.NetBSD (but that doesn't really
matter if ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM is only NetBSD) because the MESSAGE is
operating system specific.

- The MAINTAINER line must be changed. I'd suggest you use your email
address.

- DESCRiption says "I wrote" and "I don't" but doesn't tell us who "I" is.
Maybe rewrite DESCRiption to just explain what the package is.

Thanks for providing the package.

(By the way, I also imported "ppp" which is the pppd to pkgsrc-wip a while
ago.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/