Subject: lang/lua build system
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce J.A. Nourish <netbsd@bjan.freeshell.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/07/2004 21:18:54
Hey everyone,

The lang/lua package breaks horribly on FreeBSD 5.2. (I am remiss in
not providing a log; unfortunately, I don't have access to the box in
question on weekends). I started to look into the problem, but I have
a question about how the package Makefile is implemented.

Basically, we completely gut the distributed Makefiles, and replace
them with our own versions that use bsd.{prog,lib}.mk. It's not
clear to me why this is neccesary. At first blush, the supplied
Makefiles look better than average, although they would require a
little patching (but much less than we do now).

This change was instigated in a commit dated 2003/02/22 that coincided
with the release of Lua 4.0.1: "Added my [jtb] own makefiles to create
shared versions of the libraries." The makefiles for 5.0 and up
provide targets for this.

I believe we should switch back to the distributed Makefiles, consistent
with our philosophy of making minimal changes to third party packages,
and to reduce code duplication. I have patches for this ready to go, but
I'll wait until I've tested them on FreeBSD 5.2 on Monday before I
submit them ;-). In the meantime, if someone has a burning objection to
this change, perhaps they'd let me know.
--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan@bjan.freeshell.org> http://bjan.freeshell.org