Subject: Re: bin/compile_et, lib/libcom_err.a, and compile_et.1
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Love <lha@stacken.kth.se>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/03/2004 08:01:33
--=-=-=

"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> writes:

> I need bin/compile_et, lib/libcom_err.a, and compile_et.1 in a package by
> itself.
>
> Parts (are all) are provided now by wip/e2fsprogs, security/heimdal,
> kth-krb4, and wip/mit-krb5.
>
> I am not sure what the differences are.

compile_et/libcom_err in heimdal/kth-krb (and base) supports more features
(among others, threadsafeness) in the .et file that e2fsprogs
compile_et/libcom_err have started to support (at least partly).

> It appears that the e2fsprogs "Common Error Description Library for UNIX"
> is derived from MIT and KTH source.

I would guess its derived from MIT. KTH one is a diffrent implementation.

> Any suggestions on which libcomm_err implementation to use? And how to get
> packages that previously provided it to use it?

They are all the same, so it doesn't matter which one you choose. All the
error-codes are the same, and the API, but not the ABI. Choose one and only
one, mixing (w/o renameing) will cause you headaches.

Love

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--