Subject: Re: IceWM 1.2.7 execution problem (iconv not up-to-date ?)
To: Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.unixbsd.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/06/2004 22:23:08
At 21:34 Uhr +0100 6.1.2004, Juan RP wrote:
>> Anyone else have this problem?
>
>The problem only appears when using libiconv from pkgsrc.
>
>Seems to work fine on NetBSD/i386 -current.

Still looks fishy.

[hf@heiligenberg] ~ > uname -a
NetBSD heiligenberg 1.6ZE NetBSD 1.6ZE (HEILIGENBERG) #2: Tue Oct 28
18:39:50 CET 2003
hf@heiligenberg:/var/obj/netbsd-builds/i386/obj/sys/arch/i386/compile/HEILIGENBE
RG i386
[hf@heiligenberg] ~ > pkg_info | grep iconv
[hf@heiligenberg] /<3>wm/icewm > pkg_info icewm | head -1
Information for icewm-1.2.12:
[hf@heiligenberg] ~ > cat ~/.xsession-errors | grep -Ei "icewm.*invalid.*"
| tail
IceWM: Warning: Invalid multibyte string "hf@wintersberg": Invalid argument
IceWM: Warning: Invalid multibyte string "hauke@pizza": Invalid argument
IceWM: Warning: Invalid multibyte string "Applications": Invalid argument
IceWM: Warning: Invalid multibyte string "Machines": Invalid argument
IceWM: Warning: Invalid multibyte string "System": Invalid argument
IceWM: Warning: Invalid multibyte string "Utilities": Invalid argument
IceWM: Warning: Invalid multibyte string "Window Managers": Invalid argument
IceWM: Warning: Invalid multibyte string "Screen Lock": Invalid argument
IceWM: Warning: Invalid multibyte string "Windows": Invalid argument
IceWM: Warning: Invalid multibyte string "Help": Invalid argument
[hf@heiligenberg] ~ >

The strings display correctly, but I had all sorts of strange issues (icewm
dumping core, or no strings displaying at all) for quite some time.

On the other hand, an older version

[hauke@q700] ~ > uname -a
NetBSD q700 1.6K NetBSD 1.6K (FG54) #12: Fri Dec 20 10:17:57 CET 2002
hauke@q700:/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/FG54 mac68k
[hauke@q700] ~ > pkg_info | grep iconv
[hauke@q700] ~ > pkg_info icewm | head -1
Information for icewm-1.2.0: