Subject: pkgsrc/mail/evolution 1.2.x -> 1.4.x upgrade time
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/31/2003 04:27:53
This is one of only a few apps still lingering in in the gtk/glib 1.2 /
gnome 1.x series branches.  Like my suggestions on news/pan and
www/galeon before it, it's probably safe to upgrade this entry (and
possibly move the gtk1.x to an alternate name for older platforms).
Honestly, we're really far behind here (I think 1.5.x development is
very far along).

Screenshot: http://digitalfreaks.org/~lavalamp/netbsd_evolution_1.4.jpg

Notes:

*) This is Evolution 1.4.5. My configure args were simply: --prefix=/opt
--with-db3=/home/db3 --enable-openssl=yes

*) The db3 3.1.17 patches will need to remain to avoid causing the user
conflicts with multiple installs (perhaps a ximian-db3 package is in
order)

*) gnome-spell 1.x will need to be imported into pksrc for spell
checking to function.  It's very small and replaces the
spell-check-while type features you get from libgtkhtml as seen in
news/pan and chat/gaim

*) I used OpenSSL SSL insted of Mozilla NSS/NSPR's.

*) With debugging symbols, compiled objects amount to 600+ meg on disk.

*) I ran into some stange ld(1) related linking at first run:

% evolution
(evolution:1810): evolution-mail-WARNING **: Could not load:
/opt/lib/evolution/1.4/evolution-mail-importers/libevolution-netscape-importer.so: /opt/lib/evolution/1.4/evolution-mail-importers/libevolution-netscape-importer.so: Undefined PLT symbol "mail_importer_make_local_folder" (symnum = 228)

[several others here]

,,,however that symbol is CLEARLY there:

00052cd8 T mail_importer_make_local_folder

...in /opt/lib/evolution/1.4/components/libevolution-mail.so to be exact

export LD_PRELOAD=/opt/lib/evolution/1.4/components/libevolution-mail.so
fixed the probkem (thanks jmcneil@)

Other than that it rolls and runs just fine (at least on -current /
i386)

Thanks,
-lava

---
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
All work and no work makes Jack a dull Boy.
 All work und no play makes Jack a Dull boy.
   All werk and n0 play makes Jack an Dull BOY.
    All W0rk and no plew makes Jack a dull Boy.
     All work and no play makes Lava a dull Boy.