Subject: Re: what is FETCH_AFTER_ARGS?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/30/2003 18:33:21
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Where are FETCH_AFTER_ARGS and FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS defined?

Nowhere.

> I had this in my graphics/tiff Makefile:
>
> DISTFILES+=     TIFFTechNote2.html
> # It is in CVS for Release-v3-6-1, but accidently excluded from distribution.
> SITES_TIFFTechNote2.html=       http://remotesensing.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/osrs/libtiff/html/TIFFTechNote2.html?rev=1.1&content-type=text/html&sortby=date&only_with_tag=Release-v3-6-1
>
> (Any suggestions how to do that better?)
>
> At first, it didn't work because the "$${site}$${bfile}" didn't have
> quotes around it. But then the file was saved with wrong filename.

> This could be fixed with -o for curl or our ftp or -O with wget. I was
> hoping that this was already done when doing the fetch.

You're "abusing the system." 8-)  The assumption is that the
URI points to a file, and that the last part of the URI is the
filename. Couldn't you simply upload the file manually to
"ftp.netbsd.org:.../distfiles/LOCAL_PORTS/tiff/", and make
SITES_TIFFTechNote2.html = "${MASTER_SITE_LOCAL:=tiff/}"?

> Also, I see PASSIVE_FETCH defines FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS += -p which is not
> compatible (not passive mode) for wget nor curl. I think that should be
> removed since now -p is the default for our ftp.

That sounds good to me.

> What are FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS and FETCH_AFTER_ARGS for?

They don't seem all that useful. FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS is unnecessary, as
you can always make FETCH_CMD a command with arguments, and our "ftp"
doesn't need and can't take any arguments after the URI. Perhaps they
should simply go away?

Frederick