Subject: Re: apr and db4
To: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/15/2003 14:40:37
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Eric Gillespie wrote:

: > db4 is too big to be included with apr by default. If
: > subversion requires apr with db4, then make a separate package
: > for apr with db4, let subversion require that, and let Apache 2
: > use either.
:
: As i told Todd Vierling on this list a couple weeks ago, we can
: do that, but anyone who installs apr without DB 4 and later wants
: to install Subversion will have to reinstall apr.

According to the svn FAQ, apr needs to be linked against db4 only as a way
to keep from linking against earlier Berkeley DB releases (db3 in
particular).  Nothing is mentioned about conflicting with non-BDB dbm
databases.

Before the change to apr to use db4, it was using the Apache-builtin sdbm,
not db3 or earlier Berkeley DB.  What happened when the previous
configuration was used?  I'd like to see error logs; that is the sort of
thing that also belongs in the svn FAQ.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>