Subject: Re: pkg-config .pc files
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/12/2003 10:03:01
"Jeremy C. Reed" wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Simon Burge wrote:
>
> > How do I go about adding a pkg-config .pc file for an existing
> > package that doesn't have one of these?
> >
> > I've got a newer version of xmms-mad working which has better
> > functionality than the version currently in pkgsrc, but I had to
> > manually add id3tag.pc and mad.pc files to /usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig
> > since the new xmms-mad wouldn't configure without them.
>
> This makes me wonder if it is assuming to need a newer libid3tag and
> libmad that do provide those pkgconfig files.

From a quick look, it seems that the author of xmms-mad uses Debian, and
that the mad-related packages for Debian build the pkg-config files for
these separately and install them.  The packages we have for libid3tag
and libmad are the most up-to-date ones.

> Or maybe our libid3tag and libmad in pkgsrc are forced to not install
> already?
>
> Or another alternative (as seen in x11/Xrandr/patches/patch-aa) is to skip
> the pkgconfig requirement.

I guess that with buildlink we know that the prerequisites are
available, but this isn't a generic solution that we can feed back
up stream.

I'm thinking that I'll add some templates now and talk to the author of
mad/id3tag about adding pkg-config files to those packages.  Does this
sound ok?

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/