Subject: Re: mk/compiler.mk
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/08/2003 11:37:26
On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:51:05AM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> > I'd love to see gcc3 become a meta-package. It would simplify things
> > considerably. As I understand it, the argument against doing this is that the
> > monolithic package compiles faster than the separate packages.
>
> Now that we've had gcc-3.3.2 in base for a while, more and more users
> will only need one component, so for them, it would surely be faster
> to compile the one thing, than all of them.

you're only talking about NetBSD-current, obviously. there are many
others...

lang/gcc3 should not *become* a meta-pkg. I do not want to throw away
the monolithic package. I do, however, welcome a meta-pkg being added.
more parts should be shared so that there is less work involved updating
all/any of them, while still retaining the choices that we currently
provide.

in any case, support for the various split packages still needs to be
added to compiler.mk.

we also still need a gcc3 runtime package, which provides the shared
libraries without the compiler components. I think tv had one ready
some time ago.. Todd?

g.