Subject: Re: recent mail/sendmail changes
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Ben Collver <collver1@comcast.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/02/2003 20:27:43
On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:04:49PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Ben Collver wrote:
>
> : > Unless you're going to put it in ${PKG_SYSCONFDIR}, this is WRONG.
> : > submit.cf is *intentionally* customizable just like any other Sendmail
> : > config, and thus should not be used directly from ${PREFIX}/share.
> :
> : I am sorry, I do not understand what you mean by this.
>
> submit.cf, and /var/spool/clientmqueue, are part of Sendmail 8.12's two-step
> queue mechanism intended to reduce the chance of local-root exploits which
> were once very common in Sendmail.
>
> In NetBSD-current, clientmqueue does exist for Sendmail 8.12, and submit.cf
> is in /etc/mail.  The /etc/rc.d/smmsp script starts the "sendmail message
> submission program", which uses submit.cf and /var/spool/clientmqueue.
>
> The problem with the mail/sendmail package with regard to these two things
> is actually that the package is missing a rc.d/smmsp script to match the one
> in NetBSD-current.  (It also doesn't have a rc.d/sendmail script, but that's
> probably under the assumption that the one supplied by NetBSD is enough.)

Thank you for taking time to explain.

I figured that since /etc/mail/submit.cf only was installed on the build
system, and not on the system the package is installed on, it would be okay
to stop installing it on the build system.  My thought was that someone
could copy PREFIX/share/sendmail/cf/submit.cf into /etc/mail and customize
it as they saw fit.

However, it was unwise of me to make these changes without talking to more
people first, I clearly did not understand some of it.  It doesn't seem
quite right that /var/spool/clientmqueue is installed on the build system,
but not on the system the package is installed on.  It seems to me that
it should be the other way around.

Anyhow, I'll stop getting in the way on this one.  Sorry for the hassle.

Ben
--
NetBSD: It's everywhere you want to be.