Subject: Re: GTK+ 2.x completely broken?
To: Marc Recht <recht@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/29/2003 15:52:25
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Marc Recht wrote:

> > I am not sure either. But I think some of it is just the same XFree86 code
> > (but built using ./configure) so should be same stable.
>
> Maybe, but I thinks ripping out XFree completly isn't the right thing to
> do.

I just read this message for FreeBSD "I'm going to be moving our XFree86
over to using separate ports of the X11 libraries from freedesktop.org
(fd.o) rather than XFree86."

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=28820+0+archive/2003/freebsd-ports/20031116.freebsd-ports
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=138926+0+archive/2003/freebsd-ports/20031116.freebsd-ports
Or see the thread here:
http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/2003/freebsd-ports/20031116.freebsd-ports.html

I didn't know that someone was working on doing the same with FreeBSD.

> Yes, I saw that. What I'm missing is Xrandr as a released version, because
> that is needed by Gtk+2.

I am guessing that official versions will be available soon.

> > Also, we do have a duplicate of Xrender because pkgsrc version has
> > "USE_X11"  and that is not needed (nor desired) with the pkgsrc-wip
> > version. Since "render" in pkgsrc doesn't use X, then that is good enough
> > for the xlibs in pkgsrc-wip.
>
> Hmm. I think that's a bit problematic. We now have two xrender packages
> (three if you count xsrc). IMHO this should be one and pick the right X11
> libs depening on a make variable (or detecting installed freedesktop.org
> X11 libs). To avoid problems with binary pkgs (and to keep the status quo)
> it should default to the xsrc ones.

The pkgsrc one is only temporary, so a make variable could be used soon.
Maybe like "X11_TYPE=" as "native" (x11-links), "XFree86" (Xfree86-libs
package) or "xlibs" (freedesktop.org xlibs metapackage).

> For Xft2, render, xrender, xcursor, xrandr, freetype, fontconfig and expat
> however, the pkg version (build against the xsrc X11 libs) should IMHO be
> the default.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/