Subject: Re: -docs framework proposal
To: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/25/2003 23:53:45
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl> wrote:

> Currently, there's no framework for handling documentation packages
> installation in pkgsrc.
> As the most popular documentation format for manuals is HTML, I suggest:
> there should be a file, like mk/docs.pkg.mk, which would:
>
>       - define DOCPREFIX and DOCPKGSUFX

I think DOCPREFIX and DOCPKGSUFX are not needed, if I understand their
purpose.  Packages shouldn't choose their documentation location; pkgsrc
should.

We had a fruitful discussion on that point ("hier(7) silent on pkg
documentation", ending 7 Nov 2000).  As I recall, no one objected to the
idea that all non-X package documentation could go in
$PREFIX/share/doc/$PKGNAME, and X package docs in
/usr/X11R6/share/doc/<pkg>.  If xpkgwedge were used, there'd be just one
[True] path.  ;-)

I offered a refinement toward the end of that thread, to support multiple
versions, employing symbolic links much the way shared libraries do.  I
think it's a good idea (if I do say so myself) and I wouldn't want it to
be overlooked.

--jkl