Subject: Re: needing libtool to be rebuilt
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/21/2003 12:27:04
On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 02:46:10AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Over the past year, a few people who had moved to -current had reported on
> various lists that qt3 related software didn't build.  Often the answer
> was to make sure that libtool was rebuilt.
>
> For example, see pkg/22973.
>
> Is there any way to force that libtool must be rebuilt and reinstalled?

IIRC, libtool is _compiler_ specific, and to be absolutely safe, you
need to rebuild it if you change your compiler.  -current uses GCC 3.x
while netbsd-1-6 uses GCC 2.95.x, which might explain why rebuilding
libtool was the solution to the problem in the PR.

We could definitely write some checks for the proper compiler version
when a package uses libtool, but I think as a start we should just
educate -current users that they should always, _always_ rebuild
libtool if they moved from a netbsd-1-6 system, even if it means
they'll need to rebuild KDE3 from scratch.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>