Subject: Re: glu and MesaLib packages
To: petard <petard@freeshell.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/21/2003 15:51:28
On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 04:03:04AM +0000, petard wrote:

> While waiting for qt and friends to complie, I've been reading more of
> the pkgsrc documentation and have yet to find a general guideline...
> Barring special cases like this where bugs are introduced by odd
> upstream changes, is it generally best to keep the pkgsrc tree updated
> to the latest packages, or is it usually better to stick with the
> released tarball?

the tarball on ftp.NetBSD.org is updated weekly from the HEAD of
pkgsrc. most people who grab this tarball probably 'cvs update'
regularly after that.

there haven't been any official pkgsrc releases yet, with the
exception of the netbsd-1-6 and netbsd-1-6-1 branches which were
created to coincide with NetBSD 1.6 and 1.6.1 releases.

you can expect to see the first official pkgsrc release shortly - we
are currently frozen and the release will happen after we fix the
remaining issues and meet the criteria for exiting the freeze (0
broken pkgs on NetBSD 1.6.2/i386, significant reduction in # of open
PRs).

g.