Subject: Re: mgetty package
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/18/2003 17:53:06
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 08:50:21AM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > For 1.1.29 and up (which includes 1.1.30) the fax/outgoing/ directory
> > should not be mode 1777 any longer.
>
> I'll let seb respond to that. It should be easy to fix.

That's what I thought.  (I just had problems sending this reply to the
list first time, and then I got distracted).

> At one time, I
> had trouble getting our build framework to create the "fax" user before
> build-time, but that may be fixed by now.

I don't think this is actually needed.  "make install" needs to know
the fax user (to set up the directories and program file permissions
correctly), but nothing at build time depends on the existance of the
"fax" user in the system.  It has to be specified, of course.

"faxq-helper" will call getpwnam() at run time to find the numeric
user ID.

> > >do-configure:
> > >	${MV} ${WRKSRC}/doc/fax.1in ${WRKSRC}/doc/sendfax.1in
> >
> > Hmmm, what's that good for?  sendfax has its own man page, which is very
> > much different from "man fax" (which is the overview page)?  I don't think
> > it's a good idea to create a sendfax.1 and a sendfax.8 page.
>
> That's this:
>
>     revision 1.20
>     date: 2002/03/06 19:19:02;  author: fredb;  state: Exp;  lines: +4 -1
>     Rename the fax overview manpage from "fax" to "sendfax", to avoid any
>     conflict with the "efax" package. "efax" already has an "efax.1", the
>     actual man page, but "mgetty"'s "sendfax" manpage is "sendfax.8", so
>     "sendfax.1" is available. Closes PR pkg 14254.

Ah, I understand.  This is not really perfect, though - in that case,
maybe "man fax" should be some meta-information that explains about efax
*and* sendfax (*and* hylafax...).

[..]
> > I'd appreciate if portability things like this would be sent back to
> > me...
> Yes, of course. I just resent the email I sent you in February of this year.

Thanks.  I got it, and will try to work the changes in, without breaking
older NetBSDs, other BSDs, or any other platform.  Utmp portability is
hell.

Most important, for now, is to get the spool directory permissions
fixed...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de