Subject: Re: libiconv/buildlink2.mk "public" variable
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/31/2003 10:44:38
On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 03:33:00PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> > It's been sugested that perhaps the _USE_ICONV variable set in the
> > libiconv buildlink2.mk file should maybe be changed to or set aan
> > additional variable, USE_GNU_ICONV, so that packages such as glib2
>
> USE_GNU_ICONV is already available and used (but I think it can be used
> for this too).

in this case, we want something to indicate whether GNU iconv is
*actually* being used if USE_GNU_ICONV isn't defined - clearly if the
user defines USE_GNU_ICONV, it's being used :-) so another way to
determine this is needed.

> My suggestion was to have the libiconv
> buildlink2.mk file set:
>
> .if defined(GNU_CONFIGURE)
> CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--with-iconv=gnu
>   -- and/or --
> CONFIGURE_ENV+=		ac_cv_have_decl__libiconv_version=yes
> .endif
>
> (But other packages using that buildlink2 should be tested to make sure
> that works, or doesn't break anything, for them.)

I suspect only a handful of packages actually need this (I've not run
into it on FreeBSD 5, which has iconv* in libc), and expecting them
to all pay attention to '--with-iconv=gnu' seems a bit too fragile.

g.