Subject: Re: libiconv/buildlink2.mk "public" variable
To: Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/30/2003 15:33:00
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Dan McMahill wrote:

> It's been sugested that perhaps the _USE_ICONV variable set in the
> libiconv buildlink2.mk file should maybe be changed to or set aan
> additional variable, USE_GNU_ICONV, so that packages such as glib2

USE_GNU_ICONV is already available and used (but I think it can be used
for this too).

> that have some special arguments for configure that are needed when
> using libiconv instead of the native iconv can do things like:
>
> .if defined(USE_GNU_ICONV)
> CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--with-iconv=gnu
> .endif

That looks fine to me. Does that mean you have to include the libiconv
buildlink2.mk file before this?

My suggestion was to have the libiconv
buildlink2.mk file set:

.if defined(GNU_CONFIGURE)
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--with-iconv=gnu
  -- and/or --
CONFIGURE_ENV+=		ac_cv_have_decl__libiconv_version=yes
.endif

(But other packages using that buildlink2 should be tested to make sure
that works, or doesn't break anything, for them.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/