Subject: package gcc libraries
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/29/2003 10:34:16
Some software links to gcc libraries.

Like under NetBSD: /usr/pkg/bin/AbiWord_d and /usr/pkg/bin/xpdf use:

  -lstdc++.4 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.4

This above is from NetBSD's gcc 2.95.3 (and I think that is why there
isn't any libgcc_s.so needs).

And under Linux using gcc3 from pkgsrc, /usr/bin/addftinfo and
/usr/bin/aspell:
 libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/gcc3/lib/libstdc++.so.5
 libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/gcc3/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
(ignore that the localbase above is /usr -- it is from pkgsrc)

But the packages don't have a run-time dependency on any gcc package.
So if I remove my gcc3-c++ package then the software won't run. Or worse,
if I share the packages to other machines they won't be usable unless
gcc3-c++ is installed first.

Shouldn't there be a run-time dependency when the libraries used are
provided by a gcc3 or gcc3-c++ package?

Has anyone worked on making gcc library packages?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/