Subject: Re: is it suggested to rebuild and reinstall libtool-base after changing compiler?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/23/2003 10:13:54
On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 05:02:32PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> My fix was to rebuild and reinstall libtool-base from pkgsrc.
>
> Is it suggested to rebuild and reinstall libtool-base after changing
> compiler?

absolutely. the build of libtool embeds compiler-specific flags/paths
in the resulting libtool script, so if you switch compilers, you
should always rebuild libtool-base with the new compiler. I've had to
do this countless times on Solaris when switching between compilers.

> It seems like the gcc compilers should have a MESSAGE suggesting this
> (because libtool still has hard-coded gcc3 version, like
> "/usr/gcc3/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-linux/3.3.1/crtendS.o").
>
> Should the gcc3-c MESSAGE file have a note about this? What should it
> say?

the MESSAGE should really be in libtool-base/, imho, and stated
clearly in the documentation, too. switching compilers from !pkgsrc
also incurs the same "problem", so a MESSAGE in compiler pkgs won't
catch every case.

g.