Subject: Re: xscreensaver[-gnome] conflicts
To: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/22/2003 09:23:34
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Louis Guillaume wrote:

> That's correct. I realize now that xscreensaver-gnome takes care of the
> xscreensaver dependents.
>
> Doesn't this mean that the "xscreensaver" package is obsolete? Should we
> just remove it from the distribution or re-name "xscreensaver-gnome" to
> "xscreensaver"?
>
> It seems unnecessary to have 2 versions, one being a subset of the other.

No, "xscreensaver-gnome" is not actually a superset of "xscreensaver".
"xscreensaver" is the program built without gnome support, or gnome
dependencies. As such, it will build and run on a very modest machine.

I really don't see the problem. Just "pkg_delete -r xscreensaver",
"pkg_add xscreensaver-gnome", and "pkg_add *" all your packages.
"xscreensaver" and any other packages that conflict with installed
ones will just be skipped. If you don't make, or don't save, packages,
and insist on doing it the hard way, then do it the hard way, but
please don't remove "xscreensaver".

Frederick