Subject: Re: recursive "make package"
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/19/2003 00:18:39
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Strange. This last week of building packages with "bmake package" ..
> whenever it built a dependency it package it up (and cleaned too).
>
> If the DEPENDS_TARGET is not set, then it becomes "package". (So each
> dependency is packaged up.)
>

>>I saw something about adding "DEPENDS_TARGET?=package" to /etc/mk.conf,
>>but that doesn't seem to do anything.
>

> That should package up any dependency that it builds and installs. (It
> works for me.)
>
> Maybe you already have the dependency previously installed?

Does this mean that if the dependency was previously installed, no
action is taken on it, therefore the DEPENDS_TARGET is irrelevant to
that dependency?

This seems to be the case, so my problem still exists. The package and
all its dependencies have already been installed.

Also: DEPENDS_TARGET?=package in mk.conf can be dangerous if you go to
install packages, yes? Instead of installing the dependencies it's just
going to package them up on a "make install". Not really something I
want to research via trial and error.

It would be nice to have a "make package-recursive" that didn't care
about whether the dependencies or the package itself were installed or not.

I'd love to work on this, but really don't know where to start.

Thanks,

Louis