Subject: Re: recursive "make package"
To: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/18/2003 21:25:51
> >>I saw something about adding "DEPENDS_TARGET?=package" to /etc/mk.conf,
> >>but that doesn't seem to do anything.
> >

> > That should package up any dependency that it builds and installs. (It
> > works for me.)
> >
> > Maybe you already have the dependency previously installed?
> >

> Does this mean that if the dependency was previously installed, no
> action is taken on it, therefore the DEPENDS_TARGET is irrelevant to
> that dependency?

Yes.

> This seems to be the case, so my problem still exists. The package and
> all its dependencies have already been installed.
>
> Also: DEPENDS_TARGET?=package in mk.conf can be dangerous if you go to
> install packages, yes? Instead of installing the dependencies it's just
> going to package them up on a "make install". Not really something I
> want to research via trial and error.

It should be fine. It will install the dependency package and package it
too (saving to /usr/pkgsrc/packages/ for example).

It is useful, to have the packages premade so if you later do a
bin-install it can use that ready-to-use package instead of wasting time
rebuilding.

> It would be nice to have a "make package-recursive" that didn't care
> about whether the dependencies or the package itself were installed or not.

Do you have an example of what you mean?

I want to have it to automatically create the package (maybe using
pkg_tarup with tarup target) if it was previously installed. And do this
recursively. (Maybe this is what you mean.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. This reminded me, I think I saw a reference to bin-update in the
bsd.pkg.mk but bin-update doesn't exist.