Subject: Re: Samba 3.0.1 - anybody working on it?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Murray Armfield <murray@river-styx.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/14/2003 20:15:42
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:
>
>> Is there anyone working to add Samba 3.x to pkgsrc? I'm getting ready to
>> test out replacing all of our NetWare with Samba, but I want to wait
>> until 3.x and NetBSD are ready for each other. Any timeframe would be
>> helpfull.
>
> I upgraded samba3 in pkgsrc-wip to samba-3.0.1pre1. It needs more testing
> and cleanup.
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback.
>
> Please note that I have been told that samba3 works with NetBSD's native
> Heimdal kerberos too. But my package currently uses mit-krb as found in
> pkgsrc-wip. A better buildlink2.mk file is needed.

I have not committed the update to use heimdal (yet). I can commit it but
I have not tested it yet to my satisfaction. I have added the base heimdal
package to wip. At this stage the heimdal pkg is nothing more than a
buildlink file for samba3 use. The heimdal pkg should probably be done
properly too for other OSes. This also leads to a wider pkgsrc kerberos
buildlink framework, but I'm not going there...

Jeremy, if you would like I can email you my samba-3.0.0 stuff. The
patches I put together work for NetBSD-1.6.1 and NetBSD-current. There is
a change in the des API in NetBSD-current. Don't know if I'm missing
something here though. Also noticed that the Makefiles in the samba
sources are not great for splitting the package into pam and winbind pkgs.
You probably already saw that though. There should probably be a ldap pkg
too. There's a bunch of tools that need to be patched and built in the
LDAP directory. BTW, my patches only affect NetBSD builds, not other OSes
(well, they're not supposed too), so you can have either kerberos
implementation. (The Right Thing To Do I believe.)

Take care,
	Murray