Subject: Successful install of OpenOffice 1.1 release for linux
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, tech-pkg@netbsd.org, mrauch@netbsd.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/14/2003 13:40:35
I just successfully installed the linux 1.1 release on i386 current, with a
functional Linux /emul, including java.

This is not substantially different to the rc3 or rc4 beta I reported on
previously. So 1.1 has gone through two release candidates, to a working 1.1.0
release with no problems, running under emulation. 1.1.0 has enough improvements
over 1.0.3 you would definitely want to run it if you could:

	emits PDF and flash
	faster startup times
	better M$ import/compatibility

I think the port could be updated from 1.0.3 to 1.1.0 quite safely. I've cc'd
the port maintainer accordingly.

I'd be pretty interested in a native port, if there were runtime advantages to
it. OpenOffice is still a pig to make, and slower than you would like, which is
a shame.

cheers
	-George