Subject: Re: xmlcatalog and bad xml/catalog
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/09/2003 21:02:56
On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 18:25:38 -0700 (PDT)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> > (I also Bcc'd this to xmlcatmgr maintainer and developer.)
>
> > Anyways, my share/xml/catalog was corrupted. As the errors above showed,
> > the slashes on two lines were all escaped like \/.
>
> I think I found the problem. It uses ${AWK}.
>
> On some of my systems, I have been using mawk for almost a year.

*Sigh*  I expected it to be portable enough across several sh and awk interpreters...
And I wouldn't like to make it depend on an explicitly interpreter at all.

> Your quotemeta() function is for preparing the backslashes for use with
> GNU gawk.
>
> Can these backslashes be removed and still work with gawk?

Nope.  I just tried and gawk fails without them.

Do you have any idea on how to fix this?  (or why they expose different behavior
wrt quoted characters?)

Thanks.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>