Subject: Re: pkgsrc on Solaris
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/09/2003 09:31:39
--XF85m9dhOBO43t/C

Christopher Vance <vance@aurema.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking of using pkgsrc on Solaris 8 and 9 on sparc machines with
> 64-bit kernels, but I'd like to know if (and how?) I can force this
> environment to build both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries and binaries.
>=20
> (I'm happy to run make twice with different environment or
> /etc/mk.conf content, but I'd really prefer not to have to boot a
> 32-bit kernel just to build 32-bit stuff.)

I don't know Solaris, but on 64-bit Irix, you can execute the 32bit
applications, so that there it seems to me to be just a question of
organizing everything.  Ie, set different compiler flags and different
PREFIX and other variables, so that you have two locations to install
in.  Maybe have two mk.conf files and symlink or alias ``bmake32'' or
``bmake64'' to a make that uses /etc/mk.conf.32 or /etc/mk.conf.64
respectively.

Well, this is all just speculative, but good luck!

-Jan

--=20
This one's tricky. You have to use imaginary numbers, like eleventeen...

--XF85m9dhOBO43t/C

--XF85m9dhOBO43t/C--