Subject: Re: libXinerama and libxkb{file,ui}, et al, lossage
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org, tech-x11@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/05/2003 11:29:11
On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 08:50:12AM +0000, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> So, we currently do not install .so versions of several X libraries,
> including libXinerama and libxkbfile.  This causes libtool, when
> linking various plugin modules in KDE, xine, and other places, to fail
> to make those plugins into .so files, and therefore they do not get
> loaded by the normal plugin loaders.

One has to wonder why these tools try to link against shared libraries,
which are by default only available as static ones.

And why it is not possible to fix these tools, so they can also link
against static libaries?

> This has caused a variety of breakage.  For example, the keyboard
> control panel in KDE doesn't work.  There is a hack to disable
> Xinerama support completely in QT3 because it doesn't work.  IIRC,
> similar lossage has caused DGA support to fail in other apps.
>
> There is no reasonable way to fix this other than to build shared
> versions of the libraries, because the plugins just simply need them.
> RedHat and Solaris both install .so versions of all the libraries --
> and consequently, they do not have these problems.

But this is unsupported and discouraged by the xfree people.

> Losing like this is not a viable option.  I'm tired of this bullshit.
> Therefore, I am going to make our X build compile and install:
>
> libXau.so
> libXinerama.so				(see tech-pkg circa 2003/04/15)
> libXss.so				(see PR 20046)
> libXvMC.so
> libXxf86{dga,misc,vm}.so		(see tech-pkg circa 2001/08/16)
> libxkb{file,ui}.so			(see tech-pkg circa 2003/04/15)
>
> I'm still waffling on whether I want to deal with the following, since
> they're not currently active problems:
>
> libFS
> libGLw
> libXRes
> libXdmcp
> libXfontcache
> libfntstubs
> libfontenc
> libxf86config
>
> This change will have some direct impact on pkgsrc, in particular in
> the form of PLIST changes.

Not only that, it also needs to change in the normal xfree source tree, otherwise
were are again forcing people to use OUR x11 source again.

I'm against such a change if that problem isn't fixed.

Bernd