Subject: Re: I want X clients to install under X11BASE
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2003 21:56:23
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> (as you know some minor things need to be changed to make the use of
> LOCALBASE=/usr work universally well, but that's a separate issue)

Yes, I know. But it is mostly working good for me. I have been using
LOCALBASE as /usr for about 12 months on maybe ten (non-NetBSD) systems
now.

But I still had a mix of /usr/X11R6 stuff, so I decided I'd like all my
X-related to go there too (especially since it is common for other
operating systems).

> For the rest of the stuff, i.e. the X11 related software which does not
> use imake, I'm with you -- I'd like to install it in /usr/X11R6 (or
> /usr/pkg/X11R6 if I don't change LOCALBASE).  I haven't worried about
> making this happen up to now though....
>
> I do wonder why you have teTeX2-bin in /usr/X11R6/bin though -- there
> may be one or two X11 related programs in teTeX, but primarily it is not
> an X11 package as a whole.

By default, it used USE_X11 (which I made pkgsrc install to X11PREFIX). I
could have changed it to my custom USE_X11_FLAGS (which uses the
headers/libraries but doesn't install to /usr/X11R6).

The tetex list told me about xdvi is offered as a separate package.
When I have time, I will package it separately. (And I want to package
readlink separately too, since tetex and coreutils both provide it and I
don't want it to conflict if GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX is empty.)

Thanks for the long email :)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/