Subject: missing .so files on BSD/OS
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2003 02:13:26
libiconv, libtool-base, and imap-uw didn't install .so files, but they
did install .a and .la files. This is under BSD/OS 4.3.1.

openssl did successfully install .so libraries.

$ ls -l /usr/pkg/lib/lib
libc-client.a       libcrypto.so.300    libltdl.la
libc-client.la      libcrypto.so.300.1  libnbcompat.a
libc-client_pic.a   libiconv.a          libssl.a
libcharset.a        libiconv.la         libssl.so
libcharset.la       libimapuw.a         libssl.so.300
libcrypto.a         libimapuw.la        libssl.so.300.1
libcrypto.so        libltdl.a

I am missing: /usr/pkg/lib/libiconv.so.4.0, /usr/pkg/lib/libltdl.so.3.0,
/usr/pkg/lib/libimapuw.so.4.1 /usr/pkg/lib/libc-client.so.4.1, and several
others.

I am guessing this is something related.

Configuring libiconv said:
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no

Configuring libtool-base said:
checking whether the linker (ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... no
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -p output... ok
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no

I am looking at the configure and ltconfig scripts to see why
$can_build_shared is no.

It is several hours past my bed time. If anyone has any suggestions where
to look, I'd appreciate it.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. I had to patch imap-uw so it would use target "bs3" because "neb"
wanted -lcrypt which doesn't exist.