Subject: Re: I want X clients to install under X11BASE
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/03/2003 10:59:18
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> My guess is that the base system is done that way because XFree86
> is a separately maintained source tree by a third-party.
> It's even its own module in CVS.
>
> On the other hand, pkgsrc aims to be a consistent package installation
> system, so one prefix should be enough (IMHO, of course). Or?

Some other operating systems include X-related software not
maintained/provided by XFree86 under /usr/X11R6. For example, BSD/OS
installs netpbm, fvwm, ImageMagick, kgames (not KDE, but uses Xaw3d),
netscape, xcalendar, xsnow, xv, and xloadimage under /usr/X11R6.
And Red Hat installs aumix-x11, ImageMagick, transfig, gvim, kterm,
MagicPoint, mwm (Motif), rxvt, xjed, xplaymidi, xscreensaver under
/usr/X11R6/bin.

It is normal for operating systems to install X-related software under
/usr/X11R6/.

I know it is convenient and maybe cleaner to have pkgsrc install everyting
under one hierarchy.

But it should be okay to separate.

Anyways, this is my follow-up to my trials :)

With my ideas posted earlier on this list in this thread, I have forced
all packages with USE_X11 to X11PREFIX (/usr/X11R6). A few packages I
didn't want to install there so I changed their flag to use USE_X11_FLAGS
instead. My /usr/X11R6/bin has: MozillaFirebird, arts*, aterm, dcop*,
teTeX2-bin, gtk2+, icewm, gs, kate, kde*, kword, texmacs, et cetera.

My only problem has been a few buildlink2.mk files that assume LOCALBASE
as the location for the includes/libraries. I changed a couple to use
PREFIX instead, and all was well.

Very little needs to be changed to allow someone the choice to install
X-related software to /usr/X11R6.

Can this be implemented?

Is anyone else interested in this?

   Jeremy C. Reed