Subject: Re: Trying pkgsrc on Solaris 8/sparc
To: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
From: Dima Veselov <kab00m@lich.phys.spbu.ru>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/02/2003 14:06:58
On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 09:43:59PM +1000, grant beattie wrote:

> > Since I described this problem here nothing happened and pkgsrc still mostly doesn't work
> > on Solaris 8/sparc.
> > Does anyone ever compiled this package successfully?
>
> yes, I regularly blow away /usr/pkg and rebuild everything on my
> Solaris 9 box.
>
> > Compiling lang/perl package I get an error with ld
> >
> > [root@ perl5]$ type ld
> > ld is /usr/ccs/bin/ld
> > [root@ perl5]$ bmake
> >
> >         Making DynaLoader (static)
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/pkgsrc/lang/perl5/work/perl-5.6.1 gcc -o perl -Wl,-R/usr/pk
> > g/lib  -L/usr/pkg/lib -Wl,-E -R /usr/pkg/lib/perl5/5.6.1/sparc-solaris/CORE perl
> > main.o lib/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a  libperl.so `cat ext.libs` -lm -ldl -lso
> > cket -lnsl
> > /usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- E
>
> this seems like perl thinks you are using GNU ld, where -E
> (--export-dynamic) means create a dynamically linked executable and
> add all symbols to the dynamic symbol table.

Even more: when package configuring, it finds /usr/ccs/bin/ld and says it is GNU ld and
give me some warning about it.

> I have not seen this problem at all building perl on Solaris. do you
> have GNU binutils installed on the system anywhere? perhaps the perl
> configure is picking it up by mistake.

I never did it and also I think nobody could do it.
My find / -name ld says

[root@ kab00m]$ find / -name ld
/var/ld
/usr/lib/ld
/usr/ccs/bin/ld
/usr/ccs/bin/sparcv9/ld
/usr/ucb/ld
/usr/pkgsrc/devel/zlib/work/.buildlink/bin/ld
/usr/pkgsrc/lang/gcc/work/.buildlink/bin/ld
/usr/pkgsrc/lang/perl5/work/.buildlink/bin/ld
/usr/pkgsrc/lang/perl58/work/.buildlink/bin/ld
/usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/apcupsd/work/.buildlink/bin/ld

As I assume it is usual for Solaris systems, and no of this ld's have -E switch.

Can you tell me how I can determine why exactly perl configure script thinks it is GNU?

--
Sincerelly yours