Subject: Re: BUILD_USES_LEX and BUILD_USES_YACC
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/01/2003 10:18:45
On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:28:28AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> The other reason, I didn't think of tools.mk is that it used with
> "USE_GNU_TOOLS=" and GNU was misleading at least for byacc.

tools.mk is probably the best place for this, but I do agree that
USE_GNU_TOOLS would be misleading in this context.

we could create a USE_TOOLS variable, analogous to USE_GNU_TOOLS, and
perhaps even migrate the GNU stuff to USE_TOOLS.GNU, or similar..
comments?

anything that makes maintaining pkgsrc easier is a good thing in my
mind :)

> Before I start working on this ...
>
> I don't see (but I may be overlooking this), some way for tools.mk to
> check to see if system's version really exists. And if it doesn't exist
> then use the BUILD_DEPENDS version.

that can certainly be added.

> Also, I am curious: will the BUILD_USES_MSGFMT be replaced by a tools.mk
> equivalent?

I'm not against doing this...

grant.