Subject: Re: tracking freebsd/openbsd pkg_?
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/27/2003 15:08:15
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Who does the tracking of changes in the original software?
>
> Has netbsd gone so far in another direction that it's not feasible?

As far as I have looked at code, many parts are still similar, but any
significant patches would need to hand applied.

(Also, OpenBSD pkg_* code is different.)

Is there some feature that you want?

I like FreeBSD's "pkg_add -r" which basically sets PKG_PATH to include the
system's uname -m and uname -r to fetch from FreeBSD's ftp server. (And
you don't need to set any version in the package name because, I believe,
of symlinks on their FTP server.)

Also, with OpenBSD and FreeBSD you should use full file names or full
package names including the version number with the pkg_* tools, or you
have to use a wildcard like "\*". (NetBSD's is a little easier.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/